Sunday, November 11, 2012

Homemade Lara Bars

One of my favorite go-to snacks are Lara Bars. However, at $1.25 per bar, I can't justify the expense with buying them all the time. So, I have been making homemade ones for months! They are cost-efficient, healthy, and delicious.

Here is a ingredient list with prices: 

Pitted Dates (2 Bags): $2.25 per bag
Dark Chocolate Chips: $2.25 per bag , I only use half of a bag. 
Cashews: $3.00 per bag, again I only use half of a bag. 
----------------------------------------
Total price: $7.50 for ingredients

Out of this batch, I was able to make 13 bars ($0.58/bar). However, if I were to buy 13 bars it would cost me $16.25 total. Seriously, if that doesn't convince you that buying these things are a waste, tell me where you got the seeds for your money tree. 

Pour one bag of dates into the food processor. Pulse until they form a ball. Put the ball of dates into a mixing bowl. Then do the same for the second bag. I like to do them separate because they chop more consistently. 
Next put in your cashews. I pulse until they are in small pieces. Be careful not to pulse too long or you will have cashew butter. Remove the cashews and place them in the mixing bowl with the dates. 

Finally, add the chocolate into the food processor and pulse until the chocolate is chopped. Add to the mixing bowl. Mix all of the ingredients together. I like to use my hands because it is just easier. 
Mix until it looks like a giant Lara bar. Then take small chunks and wrap in cling wrap. 
Freeze or refrigerate. 

Note: The flavor I made was chocolate chip cookie dough but you can easily make any flavor. To decipher the ingredients needed, I usually buy a Lara Bar at the store and see what is in it. Otherwise, you can experiment by adding dried fruit and different nuts such as almonds or peanuts.

Enjoy! Let me know what recipe is your favorite!

2 comments: