Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Whole 30 and Kitchen Prep

One of my biggest pet peeves is a dirty kitchen. One of my biggest faults is leaving the kitchen dirty.

This cycle is one of life's great mysteries. However, I have had a major case of "New Year Cleaning" and decided to gut my fridge, freezer, and cupboards in order to get ready for Whole 30. After the kitchen cleanse, I went grocery shopping and spent more than I usually do. 

Grocery List: $158 -- I don't coupon but since I am limited to the produce and meat sections of the grocery store, staying in budget wasn't really a concern. I made up some meals and made my list from there. 

W30 Crockpot Shredded Beef: 
2 lb Chuck Roast 
Onion 
Garlic

W30 Chicken Vegetable Soup: 
Chicken Legs & Wings (found in poultry section,  much easier than cooking a whole chicken)
Roasted Tomatoes
Carrots
Celery
Onion 
Chicken Broth (low sodium, organic and no sugar added) 
Garlic

W30 Bone Broth: 
Leftover produce and chicken bones from Chicken Vegetable Soup

W30 Egg Cups: 
Uncured Organic Ham 
Eggs
Mushrooms 
Onion
Spinach

W30 Salad in a Jar: 
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Tomatoes
Chicken Thighs
Tuna
Cucumber 
Apples
Guacamole

Beef Jerky: 
2 lbs Ground Chuck

W30 Turkey Chili: 
Ground Turkey 
Yellow and Red Bell Peppers 
Onion
Jalapenos 
Roasted Tomatoes
Tomato Sauce 
Sweet Potato
Chicken Stock 


I started out the morning by making the Chicken Vegetable Soup and Bone Broth. My intentions were to make all of this food in one day so I wouldn't have to make anything the rest of the week. Most people are starting Whole 30 today but since the Badgers are playing the Rose Bowl, John and I decided to start tomorrow.



The beginnings of soup and stock. I used chicken thighs and legs for the soup. I put the chicken in a stock pot with garlic, free range chicken broth and onions. I let it cook for about an hour.
Once the chicken was cooked I took it out of the pot and took the meat off the bones. I added celery,  carrots and roasted tomatoes. I let it simmer for another hour to let the flavors blend.



In the mean time, I took all the left over parts of the soup and put it in a pot with water to make stock.

The trick is to add some apple cider vinegar (about 2 tbs) and let it cook for a long time. Then strain and freeze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment