Sunday, February 24, 2013

Food Prep Sunday- Productive Edition

Since I had a three day weekend I told myself there was no reason I could not make all of the food I needed to for this week. I had a bizarre mix of piss poor attitude and the ability to get a lot done. Sometimes, my type-a-ness makes me laugh. Even when I don't want to do anything...I still accomplish quite a bit.

Let me take you through this week's edition of Food Prep Sunday:

Pulled Pork - I am planning on using it for BBQ pulled pork but will leave it plain so that I can also use it for breakfast.



3 lbs Pork Loin
2 cups Broth
1 Yellow Onion
Garlic
Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning
Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub (yes, I realize that Prime Rib is a cow and Pork Loin is a pig but a spice is a spice)

Almond Butter - we all know I have a serious problem with nut butters. I go through a jar a week. This is not a cheap addiction. I have tried to make my own before and it does not turn out. Until now, I was reading up on homemade almond butter and realized that I was not letting it sit in the food processor long enough. I was taking it out way too early. So, today I waited until it got oily and  formed a big ball of nut butter! I am super excited I figured this out. I can buy a 1 lb bag of almonds for $4, this makes 1 jar of almond butter. But at the store almond butter with added crap in it is $7 a jar. The kind at the co-op (which is just almonds- no added ingredients) is $12 a lb!?!?!?!

1 bag of salted & roasted almonds
Put in food processor until creamy.


Roasted Cauliflower - an oldie but a goodie. I realized that I hadn't had cauliflower in a while and after yesterday's brussel sprout experiment, I had a craving for this recipe.

1 head of Cauliflower
Lemon Juice
Lemon
Garlic
Olive Oil
Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle

Dice Cauliflower and coat with Olive Oil, Lemon Juice and Garlic. Place in a baking dish and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.


Vitamin A Bisque - another favorite and so easy to make!

Carrots
Butternut Squash
Pumpkin
Broth
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Cinnamon

Simmer the carrots and squash in broth until the veggies are tender. Add in pumpkin, vinegar and salt. Use a hand blender to puree.


Mustard Chicken - This is my favorite recipe so far from Practical Paleo. I would put the recipe on here but you should just do yourself a favor and buy the book.




No comments:

Post a Comment