Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pineapple Cinnamon Pulled Pork

Last Thursday, I had a long after-school training and was not in the mood to make something to eat. John met me out for dinner (a rare thing for us) at the Great Dane. It is a local restaurant that brews its own beer and has a VERY tasty menu. Since modifying our diets to become paleo, eating out is an adventure. It is not hard, but you have to get a little creative with the menu. We each had a drink while we scanned the menu. John went with his standby, a burger with bacon and bbq sauce.

I was about to settle on a Thai dish when I spotted the Drunken Jerk: Tender pork shoulder soaked in spiced rum and our own jerk marinade wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked with coconut-lime butter and pineapple salsa. Served with sweet fried plantains.  

I don't know if I have ever ordered straight-up "meat" at a restaurant. I'll have a burger or chicken sandwich every once in a while, but for those of you who know me, you know that this was a stretch. It came wrapped in banana leaves with a side of green beans. I was nervous but it ended up being really tasty. I didn't finish it all so I saved some of it for lunch the next day. This little bunny trail story brings me to today's post, Pineapple Cinnamon Pulled Pork.

I was searching for things to make for this week and remembered the delicious pork at the Great Dane and though, "I can make that pineapple pulled pork thing!" So naturally, I googled "paleo pineapple pulled pork". Several websites came up and I glanced over the recipes until I came up with my own.



Pineapple Cinnamon Pulled Pork

2-3 lbs Bone-in Pork Shoulder Roast
8 oz Chicken Stock or Coconut Milk (I used chicken stock)
1 can No Sugar Added Diced Pineapple
1 diced Onion
2 TBS Garlic
Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper

Put all of the ingredients into a crock pot and cook on low for 5-7 hours.

I can't wait to taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment